Highlands & Islands (Orkney)

Page last updated: 1/11/2025

History

The "Highlands & Islands" scheme was conceived in the 1960s as part of plans to phase out manual switching and improve capacity. Installation of radio links started in October 1970 (Dunoon - Greenock) and was completed in May 1973 (Dunure - Campbeltown). Specific dates for the Orkney links are not currently known.

A mixture of 4 GHz (300-channel) and 450 MHz (6-channel) links were used. The main north/south route between Wideford Hill (for Kirkwall) and Sanday operated at 4 GHz. 450 MHz spurs linked Eday, North Ronaldsay and Papa Westray. Stronsay and Westray were provided with 4 GHz links. Most sites were provided with new buildings as part of the scheme, with "Type 4A" towers for the 4 GHz links. An exception is Wideford Hill where the 1958 Radio Station was upgraded. Subsequent development created a route via Sanday and Fair Isle to Shetland with a further route between Orkney and Shetland via Stronsay and a new site next to the lighthouse at North Ronaldsay added later.

Current arrangements are broadly similar with digital main links at 6 GHz and spurs at 18 GHz, plus additional paths from Wideford Hill and Sanday.

An article in Post Office Telecommunications Journal Winter 75/76, shows the Orkney network at the time and has been used as the basis for this map.