Halwell links the sites near Exeter (Whitestone) and Plymouth (Forder Battery) and appeared on the 1959 Network Map as an un-named node on a route "existing or under construction". This route was almost certainly required in advance of the launch of Westward Television in 1961 and formed part of a chain from Bristol to Plymouth. The original towers on this section are all of the "pyramid" style and seem to have carried twin dish antennas on the main route.
A 1995 photo shows the tower almost full, with dishes of various types. This was perhaps due to the expansion of traffic through the Goonhilly Earth Station?